Wednesday, October 08, 2008

a comment on the economic crisis in the United States of America

Is it naive of me to say that economic downturn would be a good thing for North American culture? Maybe then we would have to start caring about people and real life more than money.

Just a thought.

---

Why is it that even though I spend so much of my energy trying to free myself from this consumerist culture the thought of economic uncertainty still scares me? I'll be one of the first people to tell you that money does not matter at all, but the headlines still give me shivers.
Maybe this world has more of a grip on me than I thought.
Maybe I'm a loud, obnoxious, self-righteous liar who can only see the materialistic habits in everyone else around me and not in myself.
Maybe I actually do care about all that stuff I swore I don't care about.
Only God knows...I'm sure He'll let me know somehow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lawren said...

Thing is, there's nothing consumerist about wanting to be able to pay for school, and eventually a mortgage, supporting your wife, etc... As much as money is a distraction, it's kind of a necessity.

So in response to your first question, I'm inclined to say yes...
At the same time, I'm pretty sure all of us could learn to live with a bit less. And that might not be such a bad thing

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

It might make North Americans care MORE about money. Because they'll have less of it.

More likely, the current fiscal crisis will come and go and human nature will remain unchanged.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:42:00 AM  
Blogger carolin said...

wow, Ryan, did you read my mind and then write it down? I have the same thoughts (except about supporting a wife).

Love
Aunt Carolin

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home