Saturday, March 24, 2007

being for the benefit of Mr. Kite

As a citizen of Canada and the world, I consider it my duty to keep myself informed in the world of politics. I want to be sure that I know where I stand on certain issues that change the way that we as a nation live.
In an effort to do this, I try to watch the news on CTV and the CBC and other news networks. Programs such as Politics with Don Newman, Mike Duffy Live, The National and other news programs, usually whichever one is on when I find a few spare moments.
I have found it increasingly frustrating to try and find an objective news report. The more I immerse myself into the issues, the more similarities I see between Politics with Don Newman and Entertainment Tonight. All people really seem to care about is controversy and scandal. Politicians have become nothing more than celebrities, and the voters are their fan clubs. Nobody wants to hear the facts, because that isn't interesting. If it isn't sensational, I don't care. Make it a sensation.
Maybe the world of politics has always been this way, and I am only now beginning to realize it, but I find it disgusting. I will continue to follow politics, but I am going to start finding other, hopefully more objective sources of information.

Any recommendations?

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan please explain how the title of your post applies to its contents?

Sunday, March 25, 2007 11:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best news available is found only on cable. You can't really trust network television (or more accurately, stations that broadcast to a particular country's demographic). I'd recommend CNN most of the time, and if you want a conservative perspective on things, look to Fox News. If you don't have cable, read their websites. Just get past the American stuff and go to the 'world' stories.

Does canada have cable news networks...? Or are the citizens doomed to be indoctrinated by cbc and ctv?

Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger joel muiS said...

For all my political television needs, I watch the Colbert Report. Not only is he brilliant, he makes new words.

like 'freem', 'truthiness', or 'wikiality'

Sunday, March 25, 2007 1:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon Stewart and Steve Colbert are both awesome for 'fake' news... (fake meaning funny, not 'fake' like network tv news). But alas, they are on Comedy Central, which I don't get.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 6:06:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Thanks for the tips guys.
Neal, the title has nothing to do with the post. It simply displays my appreciation for the Beatles and their identity crisis.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh ryan they had no identy crisis for that album they just chose to use their fack band as a way to walk past their own musical trends and try something new

Monday, March 26, 2007 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Which could be described as an identity crisis. It turned out quite well.

Monday, March 26, 2007 1:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite well that record changed how music was done up too that point my little friend! Ryan we need to have a good face to face beatles discussion

Monday, March 26, 2007 3:13:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

yes! On Wednesday some guys in my improv class are covering Helter Skelter. It's gonna be sweet.

Monday, March 26, 2007 6:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Record it for me so I can hear

Monday, March 26, 2007 6:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey . .. my dad gets the Western Standard, and it's awesome and still pretty objective. They have a lot of eye-opening things, and a lot of people in my church read it now. I could get you the info if you want it.

Monday, March 26, 2007 10:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we get the Western Standard as well... and i really do NOT feel that it is objective. we might think that it is objective news because it agrees with our political convictions (it is way far to the right), just as a leftist would consider the Globe & Mail objective.
according to moi, media by definition is subjective. ironic, since it was originally intended to be the tool that takes an objective snap shot of our world.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Email David Sweet (MP) and ask him what is going on from his perspective. I have been intending to do that for a while.

Daniel Zwart

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

since no one can view the world objectively, it's difficult to find objective coverage. News agencies in general like to focus on the most shocking, and saddest stories. If I ran a network, we'd have only stories of kittens being rescued out of trees.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home