Wednesday, April 04, 2007

the spirit of rock & roll

Last night I went with a bunch of cool people to see Jars of Clay. It was fun. I am not a really huge fan of Jars of Clay. To be honest I haven't heard much of their music, maybe 4 or 5 songs. But they put on a really nice show, and even though I didn't recognize most of it, it was fun.

Now, I found out something about myself last night at this show. I found out that I am very critical. I knew this before to a certain extent, but it became really obvious to me during this show.
This band called NeedtoBreathe opened up the show. I didn't like them very much, and from the moment they came on stage I kept finding new things about them that I didn't like. The drummer was too loud, the guitar was too quiet, the bassist's pants were too tight, the vocalist sounded like he ate gravel for breakfast, and the keyboard was extremely cliche.
All these things were true, but it wasn't until after the show when I was talking to some friends that I realized how truly critical I have become of music, bands, and the people in them. While I was listening to a guitar solo thinking "dang...that guy has no subtlty, when is he gonna stop? Why is he so quiet? Doesn't he realize that he has poor technique?" my friend Ben is yelling himself hoarse because he is so stoked about the rock&roll.
When did I become like this? When did I become so preocupied with playing "well" and "tastefully" that I stoped caring about ROCK and putting your soul into something you believe in. For the entire show I couldn't let myself get carried away in the rock because I couldnt' stop judging the people on stage.

I have become a true music snob. I am unable to enjoy the true spirit of rock & roll.

I can't wait to get out of jazz school.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

with knowledge comes discernment and criticism. Knowledge is a 2-edged sword.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Let's play a show together sometime. Then we can, I dunno, maybe like get STOKED or something. Plus I'd really like to play a show again. Plus we can build oof each other - I will be more snobby, and you will be more rock-y. Goodstuff.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean... there is often a fine line between having discriminating taste and being a pompous ass. But you shouldn't surrender your critical instincts entirely for the sake of enjoying inferior music. For me, the trick is to know when to make my opinions known, and when to just keep my mouth shut.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 1:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mebbe jazz school is not so much to blame as LW ??? :)

::K::

Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just went to a concert/Good friday service on friday night at Temple University.. .and I couldn't stand how critical I was as I listened to everything. It kept me from enjoying that we were a group of believers worshipping God together, remember His sacrifice...

Sunday, April 08, 2007 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Tala Azar said...

well. it's hard not to be critical. i mean it does MATTER.

but yeah. it's hard not to cross the line into a superiority complex.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 9:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I think I crossed that line about 20 years ago... it's a hard line to get on the right side of.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan,
I am in counseling school studying people right now . . . what does that tell you about what I am most critical of . . .?? One thing that I have been learning through it all though is that God is out to teach you more through every single person, experience, sermon, song . . . etc, etc. It's so liberating to just come to the point of being like, "Okay, where can I see Jesus in this one? What are you trying to teach me, Lord?" So, enjoy . . . all things. :)

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that certainly puts a cheery spin on things. Thankyou for that.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 5:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home