Tuesday, October 24, 2006

the downfall of society.

Hey everybody! I've been thinking. Don't laugh, I really actually have. What have I been thinking about you ask? (I will assume you are interested) I've been thinking about television. I know, 'thinking' and 'televion' are two words not often seen in such close proximity, and that is one of my reasons for writing this post.

I don't watch a whole lot of tv. I don't have much time for it. But there are those evenings when I am home, and I am tired, and I just feel like shutting my mind off and letting myself be entertained.

The other day I sat down in front of the tv, and I decided that every time a program used God's name in vain, or made a crude joke, I would change the channel. Within 3 minutes I had run out of channels, and I shut the TV off.
This finding really scares me. How many countless hours have I sat in front of the TV letting my mind be filled with crap without thinking about it. Without even trying to guard myself. How I allowed people to belittle my God and his commands, without batting an eye.
I find it amazing how many Christians (myself included) just let this kind of thing pass by unchecked and esentially unnoticed. There is usually the obligatory "tsk" from your mom when you are having a family movie night, but other than that this insult to Christianity generally slips under the radar.
Even if TV shows didn't take God's name in vain so often, what about the digusting obsession with all forms of sex. Not to mention the appauling lack of respect for human life.

Anyway, I am sure you guys know all that already. I'm gonna do something about it though, and I am inviting you to join me. I made a pact with myself to not watch TV for 3 weeks as an experiment. I am going to see if my my relationship with God, my thoughts, words, and actions are altered in any way. If they get better, stay the same, or get worse.
Place your bets here. I'm putting money on "gets better"

Awesome thing that happened today: I told my friend at school today that I wanted to go to theological college instead of be a musician. He thought I was crazy.

5 Comments:

Blogger ddj said...

go for it brother!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for anyone who bets against you. I'm betting that your relationship with God WILL get better... furthermore, I'll bet that you'll extend your 'fast' to longer than 3 weeks. Why? personal experience.

Welcome to the recently rapidly-growing-in-membership non-tv-watchers

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am WITH you ryan. 3 weeks.

thanks for this post.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're right. i find the same thing. tv is pretty much an ungodly thing. not saying there is nothing good, there just isnt much that is good. hockey's bout the only thing i watch. awesome post!

Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're right. i find the same thing. tv is pretty much an ungodly thing. not saying there is nothing good, there just isnt much that is good. hockey's bout the only thing i watch. awesome post!

Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home